January 27, 2010

The Problem with the Symphony

What is it about California Adventure's Silly Symphony Swings that makes me less than enthusiastic about the Imagineers plans for this extreme park makeover? Sure, it takes up so little acreage that it makes sense to do something similar to the previous Orange Stinger attraction. Yes, it is nice to see Mickey make a comeback in the parks versus adding yet another character attraction from the great Pixar films. Still, something remains, and it is disturbing.

Here it is- cheap carnival rides like this remind me of the ego and the disrespect the suits in charge of California Adventure had toward its long time Disney park fans. And rides like this and the Mailboomer and Mulholland Madness remain.

The simplest arguments to support their actions say "Disneyland has its spinners as well." Absolutely, but the difference between the ugly Paradise Pier and Fantasyland is as profound as the artistic difference between the whole of each park. At Disneyland, the few spinners flesh out the park, while at the other, these carnival rides make up a large portion of the attraction roster.

Disneyland was crafted with care by Walt himself, but the resort's second gate was ultimately designed by the accountant's pen and the corporation's financial gurus. Big difference and even bigger different end results. One park is a cultural icon for all generations; the other a punchline for joke after joke. Here's hoping World of Color and The Little Mermaid begin a great relaunch in earnest to an ill executed project.
(Concept art copyright The Walt Disney Company.)

1 comment:

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Spot on post Mark, I just saw a photo of the red & white "top" of the Silly Symphony Swings - it screams (screamin?) carnival-canvas-cheap... I'm putting my bets on Carsland and the Little Mermaid ride, but all the rest has me concerned.

Hey, great post "Extreme Makeover: Face Edition" - I've noticed when I look in the mirror, I still look like you in the wedding photo (Awesome picture by the way) but when I see current photos of myself I see a completely different (i.e.; older) person. Oddly, I'm totally ok with each image of myself so I really get your post, thanks.