January 8, 2011

Unexpected

He was always so cool, so together, so settled. Therefore, I was so surprised I do not even know what to say. When you think someone has it all together and you find out, they may not, it's just a shock. I walked up to the front doors of my gym to find this note. One of my trainers had passed away. He was fairly young, much younger than I. Never expected this. What happened?

The letter on the door was one of those notes, kind of the "we regret to inform you type" that doesn't really tell you anything. Understandable. Respectful. Brief and to the point. But, I couldn't help but think about him. The shock of death and all. How one minute, someone's there and then gone, not to be seen on this earth ever again.

Years ago, the big question was "If you died tonight, do you know where you would go?" The variations included discussion on heaven or hell and why, who is Jesus, his sacrifice for our sins, and how our answer impacts our eternity. The stuff of philosophy classes and Sunday School class debates. In some circles, it was considered impolite, but I always thought that was just a nice way of acting as if the inevitable would never happen. Avoidance of life's most important question.

We all die. Sometimes it happens when we are ready, sometimes not. But we are all eternal beings, so life on earth is not the end, but it is only the beginning of a new existance. I would have liked to known his answer to the question, but now I'll never get the chance. But I can ask you. "Where will you go when you die? Why?" I'd love to hear your answers...

No comments: