May 5, 2011

Viva Cinco de Mayo!

There's plenty of reasons to celebrate Mexico and her culture today- and I wish that I could do it by going back in time to ride Epcot's gorgeous but long gone, El Rio del Tiempo. Its replacement, the Gran Fiesta Tour, is admittedly a fun-filled romp with the Three Caballeros, but it lacks the elegance of its predecessor. (And the catchy theme song, too!) Today, May 5th, Cinco de Mayo celebrates Mexico's conquest of the French during the time of the Civil War in the United States. Its the perfect day to be with family and friends over chips, salsa, and frosty margaritas celebrating. (Check out my previous Cinco de Mayo posts for more artwork.)

Today is also the National Day of Prayer. On this day, we are called to remember God's goodness to our nation and to humbly go before Him offering up our prayers while we offer up ourselves for His service and for His glory. This year's theme is a good reminder: "I will say of the Lord, he is my refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust." (Psalm 91:2). May God Himself bless us as we seek after Him and celebrate His faithfulness. Vaya con Dios!
(Art copyright The Walt Disney Company.)

No comments: