March 27, 2012

A Sad Goodbye to Animator Glen Keane

A very sad goodbye to Disney animator Glen Keane. In his letter to the Walt Disney Company, Glen was his usual, gracious, self. It is a very low point for traditional animation, as Glen was the backbone to many Disney projects (The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, and Tangled). For me, the ultimate Keane project was Beast, from the classic Beauty and the Beast. Apparently, the experience deeply impacted him as well.

On animating the Beast for the film Beauty and the Beast, Disney animator Glen Keane says,

"This is the moment- this is what I was born for...
As I started animating it, for me it's really an expression of my spiritual life.
There's a verse in the Bible that says 'If any man is in Christ, he is a new creation. Old things have passed away and all things have become new...'
Because it is really about an inner spiritual transformation that's taking place with the Beast. I saw it as a parable of my life."


Goodbye, Glen. You will be greatly missed. If you want to see Glen's great artwork in various forms, here's the place to go:The Art of Glen Keane .

5 comments:

Mark said...

Very well said, Pelter. The world is constantly changing. And I so hope Glen finds a pasture in which he blossoms once again!

Pelter Unbleat said...

Haha you didn't post my comment ;)

Mark said...

Oops- I lost your comments on this. Would you resend it?

Pelter Unbleat said...

Sorry. That took me forever to write.

Mark said...

I'm sorry, too. It was great!