February 6, 2014

The Pursuit of Liberty (Square, That Is!)

Just as Disneyland's New Orleans Square stands as its crown jewel, it is Liberty Square in the Magic Kingdom that is set apart as an achievement in taking guests to another place and time. During my first visit in 1975, I was taken aback by the "sense of place" which created the warmth and charm in this area. Little details were to be found just about everywhere I glanced. With great attractions in a spectacular setting, period appropriate merchandise, and a strong sense of patriotism in all that is good in a Young America, this land is a winner. 

Over the years, much of both has changed, but the Hall of Presidents continues to stir me. The Liberty Tree Tavern and the Columbia Harbour House are among my first choices when I want to dine in the Kingdom. Lastly, but certainly not least, I find the creep factor of the Haunted Mansion to be superior than the California mansion due to the choice of design and it's location high above it all. Loving our heritage, Liberty Square is the one area of the park that I wish were expanded with new attractions, streets to explore, and discoveries to be found.

Could there have been a Liberty Square in Disneyland? Come back tomorrow to see some evidence...

(Art copyright The Walt Disney Company.)

2 comments:

Matt said...

Second that.

Mark said...

I have to say, I'd love more Disney "lands" that had roots in history. Bring on Disney's America! ;)