May 15, 2014

Famous Beach Shot

This one is strictly for the records. 

Long before there was a fourth child, we headed off to the beach at the last minute. It was supposed to be a cold day, but to our surprise, was instead quite warm and wonderful.

The kids were so excited to go in the water, we let them take off their shorts and dip their toes in. I just happened to have our camera with me at the right moment. The result is what you see.

Since my father-in-law worked for Kodak, we used to send him all our film for free developing. My mother-in-law saw this photo and had it blown up into a 16x20 frame-worthy picture. It sits on the wall in our family room to this day.

When our youngest son came along, we tried to duplicate the shot (with pants!) but to no avail. It was a magic moment years ago, and now it just lives on in my memory.

(Photograph copyright Mark Taft.)

No comments: