January 5, 2015

Ladies and Rogues: Pieces of Art for Pirates of the Caribbean

There's much to love about the work of Imagineer Marc Davis. The man contributed to so many classic Disneyland and Walt Disney World attractions! The Jungle Cruise, Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland, America Sings, Country Bear Jamboree, and of course everyone's favorite, the Pirates of the Caribbean


No one like Marc could do magic when it came to pulling off clever gags with humans and animals- and the first two pieces of art show exactly what I'm talking about. The top piece contains two lovely ladies that did not make the cut when it was time to build the attraction. The art below shows a monkey and his human friend enjoying a pint- another that never found a home in New Orleans Square.


Just last month I rode the attraction and realized there was still an enormous amount of open space where previously unused concepts could come to life. My hope is that one day, Anaheim visitors will find sword fighting as guests can do while riding the excellent reworking of the attraction at Disneyland Paris. It's something a guest doesn't even realize is missing until its seen for the first time. Quite the feat the Imagineers pulled off.

Just when I think I've run out of Marc's pieces for Pirates, I find something else in my files. Perhaps one day, I'll unearth more...

(Art copyright The Walt Disney Company.)

No comments: