February 6, 2017

Tom Brady: From Deflated to Elated

What a great and inspiring tale of not giving up! Super Bowl LI belonged to the Atlanta Falcons in the first half- and it didn't look like the New England Patriots had a chance. Even Tom Brady seemed deflated. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.) And then, it happened one step at a time. A tale of perseverance that paid off handsomely.

This morning, I ran across this challenging piece of Scripture, a command from God in the book of Jeremiah, and I thought of all of them:

Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom or the strong man boast of his strength or the rich man boast of his riches, but let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight," declares the LORD.
                                                            Jeremiah 9:23-24

Oh, Lord, let our hearts cry out to you! Let my heart be changed! To only boast of knowing you, but in a way that shows your greatness and our true humility. The gift of intimacy with you, the One True God is better than all the knowledge of what the world tells me is important. It's better than being strong and healthy with a perfect body. It's worth more than all the stocks, bonds, wealth and power found in corporate America and beyond.

Oh, Lord. let me love you more than anyone or anything! You alone, Oh God, deserve our praise! The eternal lasts beyond the temporary awards and accolades of this world. And Lord, let me persevere in the things you have called me to, not sacrificing the blessing of your call in exchange for the comforts and pleasures of the world.

No comments: